The Postgraduate Diploma in Leadership Studies is designed for working professionals to consolidate and extend their leadership capability in the institutions in which they are located. The need exists for a values and ethics based approach to institutional leadership which facilitates systemic change. The programme caters for working professionals in organisational leadership positions, who are required to work in the dynamic complex environment of contemporary Africa and its transition agenda. This aligns with the School’s purpose relating to leadership development and the University’s strategic plan to provide quality teaching and research for the African context. The students, through the undertaking of the programme, will be equipped with advanced theoretical knowledge in the area of institutional leadership, which will enable critical reflection to contribute in their on-going professional development.
The programme will also serve as a bridging programme to the Masters in Leadership Studies and related management fields.
How you will benefit
Upon completion of the programme, you will be able to
- Process knowledge
- Lead constructively in a complex and uncertain environment
- Engage in critical self-reflection required for the development of personal mastery
- Create, organise and lead teams effectively and
- Construct, propose and synthesise leadership tools for systemic change
- Examine and formulate appropriate responses to global challenges
- Formulate, propose and evaluate strategy pertaining to organisational leadership
Advanced Theoretical Areas
- Strategic leadership and enactment
- Systems thinking and complexity science
- Group and organisational dynamics
- Personal leadership competencies
- Project leadership
- Gender, economic, social and environmental justice
Programme Teaching Method
The programme is offered over a two-year period on a part-time, block release method. Students are required to attend a full week (08h00 – 17h00) per module.
The programme can also be offered over one-year full-time.
- Advanced Leadership Theories and Practices
- Organisational Dynamics
- Strategic Leadership
- Systems Thinking
- Practitioner Research for Leaders
- Managing Complexity
- Project Leadership
Note: Electives* are offered subject to student enrolments
The minimum admission requirement is an appropriate Bachelor’s Degree
or equivalent at NQF level 7